NPR’s Morning Edition carried my story about Kat Becker and Tony Schultz’s Stoney Acres farm in Athens, WI yesterday. They have been making pizza with ingredients entirely from their organic farm since 2012. In addition to providing an income stream to the farm, the Friday-night pizza events are also offering residents a space to connect and get to know each other.
The Guardian recently published a piece of mine about the impact that the Suape Port Complex, just south of Recife, is having on traditional fishing communities. This is the project that brought me back to Brazil, and I’m working on developing other outputs for it. My hope is to create a photographic and audio installation that will communicate some of the experiences of the people who live in the area near the port. In the meantime, you can read the story on how pollution from the port is impacting women shellfishers here.
- Vania Maria de Alcàntara contemplates a mangrove tree at the start of a shellfishing expedition in a swamp near the Suape Port Complex.
- Valeria Maria de Alcàntara tests a stream bed to ensure she doesn't step on a stinging eel.
- This kind of exposure to polluted water results in high rates of skin and reproductive infections according to a study done by the Sociedade Nordestina de Ecologia.
- A kilo of crab meat will sell for roughly 70 Reals, and it now takes 3 mornings to collect this amount, when it used to take just one.
- Valeria Maria de Alcàntara styles her daughter's hair after a morning's work in the mangrove swamp.